Old Speckled Hen
Brewing has been carried out commercially in Abingdon for centuries, including at the Abbey prior to its dissolution in 1538. In 1711 a farmer, John Morland, set up a brewery in West Ilsley, Oxfordshire, brewing fine ale and porter for pubs in and around London. In the 1860s, Morland’s acquired local competitors Abbey Brewery and Eagle Brewery and moved its operation to Westgate Street in Abingdon. Reflecting its growth, Morland’s changed its name to United Breweries in 1885. A new brewhouse was built in Ock Street in 1912, and the firm continued to buy up other breweries and pubs in the following decades.